Note — you can, of course, make this with regular yogurt, which would be standard in Sri Lanka, but I’m working on a vegan cookbook, so…
Moru Thanni / Spiced Yogurt Drink
(15 minutes, serves 4)
On a hot day, this a wholesome way to cool down!
1 c. vegan yogurt (use your favorite; I like Culina, which is coconut milk based, but versions based on cashews would also work for this)
1/2 t. asafoetida powder / hing (optional)
1/2 – 2 t. salt (to taste)
3-4 c. water (to your desired drinking consistency)
1/2 red onion, chopped fine
1 green chili, chopped fine
1 t. coriander leaves, chopped fine
1 t. vegetable oil
1 t. black mustard seeds
1-2 T lime juice (to taste)
1. In a large pouring container, mix yogurt with asafoetida powder (if using) and salt.
2. Add 2-4 c. water, stirring to combine, to your desired drinking consistency.
3. Add chopped onion, green chili, and coriander to the beverage.
4. In a small pan on high, heat oil and add mustard seeds. When they start to splutter, remove from heat and add to the beverage, stirring to combine.
5. Add lime juice and adjust seasonings to taste. Serve cold as a refreshing beverage; it can also be served as an accompaniment to a rice meal, and in that instance, would be poured over the rice.
NOTE: To turn this into a refreshing cocktail, feel free to add a shot or two of arrack to the glass!