A savory little treat, particularly tasty with a cup of hot tea. Rich in vitamins and minerals, and packed full of protein!
1/2 t. mustard seeds
1. Rinse and soak green grams in water for 4-5 hours (or overnight).
2. Transfer grams and water to a saucepan; add turmeric and salt. Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until grams are cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.
3. While grams are cooking, in a separate pan, heat oil and sauté remaining ingredients, stirring, until onions are golden-translucent, about 5-10 minutes.
4. When grams are cooked, pour off any excess water, then mash. (You can do this easily in a food processor.) Mix in seasoned onions, and let cool.
5. Shape into small round balls; serve as a snack with tea, or to accompany a rice and curry meal.